Monday, April 25, 2011

Acid Wash

Little did I know that "acid wash" was not exclusively a jeans thing.  Now that I own a pool, I have to learn and perform all sorts of (costly) maintenance.  Back on the 9th of this month we had to drain our pool.  We were advised to have it acid washed while it was empty.  We were going to pay a pool company to do it.  But then we had the same company come and service our filter.  After watching what the service guy was doing, I thought, "I'm paying him how much for this?  I can definitely do this on my own.  I am not paying them next week for the acid wash."  On top of that, you can only acid wash if the temperature stays below 85 degrees.  If it was going to be above 85 on the day of the wash, they would cancel and we'd be out of luck until next year.  So when it was going to be only 70 degrees that Saturday and in the 90's the next week, I thought, "I'm doing this."  So here are some photos:

The start of the draining process.  Notice the sump pump in the middle of the pool and the hose that exits the pool (to our sewage drain).  We started it at about 9pm and it was done at about 2am.

Me in the draining pool.

Acid washing away I go.

Hip waders come in handy for other things besides fishing in Alaska.

Rubber gloves, respirator, and safety goggles round out the safety equipment.

Amelia enjoying the clean pool water.

No comments:

Post a Comment